Today I am going to continue from a post that I wrote yesterday. The post intended to journal about two questions and to reflect about what I value and what is meaningful to me in the process. The two questions that I intended to answer were (a) what do I see around and (b) what do I want to see more of?
Eventually, I managed to answer only the first questions in the 1000-words time I was allotted and I talked about
- what we cannot see around but is coming, like the next 3-5 billions people coming online
- a fairly spread self-referential attitude towards life and thinking (does that apply to me too? most likely)
- a lot of arrogance
- a great preoccupation with short-term trends
- a world where the wise, those with common wisdom and knowledge, are silent and sometimes act instead of speaking
- a world where the loudest are the most anxious and there is a of talking that is urged, shouts, disrespects and over-represents certain categories of people in the world
- Twitter, the closest thing we have to a global consciousness
- if I want to see what is around, I may need to look a little more broadly
- a constant technological development, that is, however, more oriented towards creating great solution rather than solving problem
- effort going into local endeavour, whose goals and purpose and direction are set impatiently and in isolation from a society who is confused and self-conflicted recursively at all levels
- 40% of people busy doing meaningless jobs and spending most of their time in meaningless way
- people living by social norms, having things that they believe in and trying very hard to make these into norms that guide and dominate society
- people feeling lonely, hopeless and depressed
In addition to what I see around, this thread from Steph Smith is a great list of observations, specifically objective statistics, about what is going on around
What do I want to see more of?
First I want to reflect a little bit on what this question actually means.
I take this question from Visakanv and as I read more tweets that mention the quote I am understanding how it closely relates to the Twitter timeline and the algorithm.
For example, Malcolm unfollowed a bunch of accounts with the logic that
And many other people, like Nick Torba and Matt Jugo refer to the same principle as guiding who they follow, what they like and reply to
That makes a lot of sense to me. What do I want to see more of in my Twitter timeline?
Then there is also the side, or the extension, of “doing what makes my hearth sings” which is the next bit that Visakanv adds onto this
A note, I feel like, ironically, in my account of what I see around me, I listed many things that I don’t want to see more of. I say ironically because the invite is to focus on what I want to see more of and focusing on those thing may only bring more of them around me.
Okay, with this initial exploration in mind, let’s try answer both version of this question.
What do I want to see more of (around me)?
- people exploring the dynamics of global consciousness and its enabling technologies, such as Twitter and decentralised interoperable social media (eg Bluesky)
- people trying to do “the great work of their life”: working to find what matters and then building a life around it
- people contributing to the meaning economy: entrepreneurs building businesses trying to enable and support other people to live by their values
- contrarian looking at things beyond their surface representation and uncovering fundamental aspects of them, especially when related to practical reality, such as the economy (eg antifragile)
- people talking about personal wellbeing, mental health, attaining wisdom and becoming capable to support others around us to do the same in their own terms
- people finding ways to have fun and interact with one another playfully, to communicate earnestly and lightly, to enjoy the twist and turns of life with irony and humor
- people practicing and developing skills, doing things with high quality
I can already see how many of these link to my values and what I want to see more of from myself, which is
What do I want see more of from myself?
- be a detective guided by the curiosity to understand how things work, especially concrete problems and situations that are in front of me and/do require me to do something
- working to continuously find what matters to me and building a life around it
- building businesses that enable and support others to live by what matters to them
- thoughtful yet playful interactions
- being a conduit of quality in whatever I do
Summarising, in a tweet like format. I want to see more of
- global consciousness
- learning in public
- meaning entrepreneurs
- thoughtful playpals
- high-quality practitioners
And regarding my values and I want to see more of from myself, I can summarise that in this house we
- encourage detective-level inquisitiveness
- build things around what matters
- support others to do the same in their own terms
- interact thoughtfully yet playfully
- strive to express quality through anything we do
And here they go out as tweets